RIVERSIDE COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT
Sheriff Chad Bianco
|Press Release:||Grant Kick Off|
|Station Area:||San Jacinto|
|Written Date:||November 11, 2021||Time:||12:00 PM|
|Incident Location:||City of San Jacinto|
|Reporting Officer:||Deputy Ray Cortez|
Riverside County Sheriff’s Department, San Jacinto Station Awarded 55684.00 Grant from the Office of Traffic Safety
San Jacinto, Calif. – The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department, San Jacinto. will roll out a police traffic services program to deter dangerous and illegal driving behaviors that increase the risk of crashes in the community.
“Impairment, speeding and other dangerous driving behaviors jeopardize the safety of other people on the road,” San Jacinto Sheriff’s Station, Deputy Ray Cortez said. “This funding allows us to provide necessary traffic enforcement measures with the goal of reducing serious injury and fatal crashes on our roads,”
The grant will pay for additional enforcement measures, including:
- DUI checkpoints and patrols specifically focused on suspected impaired drivers.
- Enforcement operations focused on suspected distracted drivers in violation of California’s hands-free cell phone law.
- Bicycle and pedestrian safety enforcement operations focused on driver behaviors that put vulnerable road users at risk.
- Enforcement operations focused on top violations that cause crashes: speeding, failure to yield, stop sign and/or red-light running, and improper turning or lane changes.
- Community education presentations on traffic safety issues such as distracted driving, DUI, speeding, and bicycle and pedestrian safety.
- Officer training and/or recertification: Standard Field Sobriety Test (SFST), Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE) and Drug Recognition Expert (DRE).
The grant program will run through September 2022.
Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
For media inquiries regarding this incident please contact the Media Information Bureau.