Reporting Deputy: Deputy Claro Sanchez
File # N/A
Riverside County Sheriff’s Department/City of Palm Desert Awarded $101,148 Grant to Deter Unsafe Behaviors, Increase Safety on Roads
Palm Desert, Calif. – The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department/Palm Desert Station will increase patrols throughout the community and provide other traffic safety programs to help reduce the number of serious injuries and deaths on roads.
“This grant funding allows us to support our ongoing traffic safety efforts in the community,” Riverside County Sheriff’s Department, Deputy Claro Sanchez said. “Our intent is to stop the most unlawful and dangerous behaviors that put people at risk and create an environment where everyone feels safe traveling.”
The grant will provide additional programs and resources, including:
- DUI checkpoints and patrols focused on stopping suspected impaired drivers.
- High visibility distracted driving enforcement operations targeting drivers in violation of California’s hands-free cell phone law.
- Education “Know Your Limit Campaign” program intended to inform the public on how little it takes to reach the legal limit for blood alcohol content (BAC).
- Enforcement operations focused on the most dangerous driver behaviors that put the safety of people biking or walking at risk.
- Enforcement operations focused on top violations that cause crashes: speeding, failure to yield, stop sign and/or red-light running, and improper turning or lane changes.
- Enforcement operations focused on street racing and sideshows.
- Enforcement operations focused on the apprehension of persons with alcohol/ traffic related arrest warrants.
The grant program will run through September 2023.
Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
If you are interested in a career with us, please apply at joinrsd.org or call 1-888-Join-RSD